‘We were a lot better than we were’: ‘We weren’t a bunch of bad people’
Staten Island ferry passenger David Waugh said he was “thrilled” to be part of the rescue effort, but “we weren’t that bad” when they were hit by the wreck.
“We were in the middle of the ferry heading out and we were trying to avoid it and the next thing we know we’re on the other side,” he said.
“I thought it was the biggest accident I’ve ever been in.”
The ferry was travelling between Port Augusta and New Zealand’s North Island when it went down in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
A rescue vessel was called to assist, but no one was injured.
“It’s been a real shock.
I was a bit of a wrecker back then,” Mr Waugh, from Southport, said.
But there was just so much debris and there were no lifeboats, so we didn’t know what to do.””
The crew just kept coming over and trying to save us and we thought ‘oh well, we’ll just get on and get on’.”
But there was just so much debris and there were no lifeboats, so we didn’t know what to do.
“We weren, you know, a lot more than we are now.”
The passengers on board the ferry include two people who were not seriously injured and two people on board who were taken to hospital.
“They were just screaming and screaming and yelling for us to get on the lifeboats,” Mr Parnell said.
He said the survivors were on their way to a different ferry but were taken back to the mainland.
“All the passengers were OK, we just couldn’t reach them, we couldn’t get them on the Lifeboat, so there were a couple of people on the ferry on the way back,” he told the ABC.
The passengers were taken from Port Augusta to the North Island’s Harbour Bridge, where they were transferred to the island’s ferry terminal.
“In our experience, the ferry had been going for about five years and they had a very good safety record,” Mr Kallipane said.
Transport Minister Steven Miles said the disaster was “deeply upsetting” and the Ministry of Transport and Main Roads (Moulton) was providing $1 million in assistance to help pay for the recovery.
“On behalf of all the Tasmanian Government I extend my condolences to the families and friends of those who lost their lives,” he tweeted.
Mr Miles said he expected the total number of injured passengers to climb over the next few days, but he was confident the situation would improve.
“As we’ve said, there’s no reason why the ferry should have sunk so quickly. “
“There’s no doubt in our minds that this accident has been a tragedy and I’m sure that it will not be forgotten for the rest of their lives.””
There’s no doubt in our minds that this accident has been a tragedy and I’m sure that it will not be forgotten for the rest of their lives.”